Thursday, November 11, 2010

Who's Watching Who




As the top security agent here I've told my crew never to be intimidated.  Be vigilant.  Eyes on the target.  And that is why I was the first one to spot the visitor we had on the farm.  This visitor turned out to be a friend of the farm, The Milk Co-op Man.  He came to perform some kind of survey of the farm to make sure the animals and the land were being well treated.  A gold star program, he called it.

This program is probably similar to the FARM program, which C.A.L.F. had sown the seeds to get started.  Consumers are watching all types of production agriculture.  They want their food to be made under acceptable practices. These programs look at animal well-being, environmental stewardship, and milk safety and quality. These programs can validate with third party auditing that the results are accurate.

The good news is the farm passed the survey without any problem.  My experience with C.A.L.F. is that most farmers are good stewards because that is what it takes to run a profitable operation, big or small.

Who's watching who?  As I tell those bovines working beneath me, I'm watching you and that's all you need to know.

Agent 459, reporting from the Udder Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment