Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Movember Dairy, Farmers!

Oh, farmers, I am always thankful, especially in this month of thanks, for the way you care for me. You feed me a balanced ration, make sure my vaccinations are up to date, and care for me when I'm sick. I also know you are glad when the veterinarian comes to do rectal palpations on me for herd health.

palpating a cow
Ryan Goodman practicing palpating a cow

Well, well, well. It looks like the rubber glove is on the other hoof today.


Today I am reminding you that it is Movember dairy. Isn't it time for your herd health? November is men's health month. Let's talk about prostate cancer which is a very manly topic.

Did you know:

  • Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men, excluding skin cancer.
  • It is the second leading cause of cancer death in men.
  • A man is 35% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than a woman is to be diagnosed with breast cancer.
  • More than 90% of all prostate cancers are discovered confined to or nearby the prostate. Men with prostate tumors diagnosed at these stages have a five year survival rate of nearly 100%.

Like them or hate them, Matt Lauer and Al Roker are getting prostate exams live on the Today show. Farmers you don't have to go to that extreme. Trust me, not even the cows want to see it. However, go see your doctor, get a check up, eat healthy (milk is an awesome drink, by the way!), and make it a habit. 

Learn more about Movember Dairy and like them on Facebook!

Agent 101, reporting from the Udder Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment